Most of the information on this web page concerns the
Barfoot family of Hampshire, England: in particular
those living in the Bishop's
There are also branches of the family living in London,
Buckinghamshire and Northamptonshire, however I know very
little about them.
Back in the seventeenth century there was also a Barfoot
family in the Basingstoke area of Hampshire, which I have
now managed to tie into the Bishop's Waltham branch.
To make this site as useful as possible for as many people as
possible, I have divided it into two sections: one containing the
data as found in the original records, the other a more subjective
section where I have attempted to piece the information together
to give consistent family groups.
This is very much a work in progress, and over time I hope that
it will become a useful genealogical resource.
This section contains the
original data - baptisms marriages, wills and so on.
Hopefuly, data entered in this section, should
remain unchanged (except to correct any errors that are
found). Data is arranged by type (e.g. baptisms, marriages,
wills, ...) and then,
where appropriate, by parish or region.
This section contains family
groupings for various Barfoot families. I have tried
to indicate the probable relationships between people in
this section. However, as new evidence is found, it is
possible that some of these relationships may need
to be changed.
Contributions to this site
are most welcome from anyone with any additional information
on the Barfoot family, especially those with connections
at one time or another to Hampshire.
If you have any questions about the Barfoot family, please
I have started to make a list of
links to other genealogical sites, together with some
other sites that I have found useful at one time or another.
I have also put together a
of various odds and ends which is
probably of no interest to anyone except me.
Links to Other Sites
Because so many people have sent me so much information to include
on this site, I am unable to individually cite every piece of
information that has been sent to me. However, I would like to thank
the following people for their help and/or information:
- the late Mollie Tazewell, for information on the
descendants of Thomas Barfoot of Botley;
- Jean Shergold, for information on the many Barfoots
- Mike Lawrence, for information on the many Barfoots
of South Stoneham, Otterbourne and Bitterne;
- Ann Cox, for information on the descendants of Peter
Barfoot and Sophia Searle;
- Grace van Rutten, for information on the descendants
of George Barfoot and Georgina Abott;
- Mick Cooper, for information on the various Barfoots
- Lesley Potter and Linda Seagrave, for lookups in the
1851 census index;
- Nina and Colin Watts, for searching the parish registers
of Boarhunt, Southwick and Hambledon;
- Herb Madgwick, for information on Robert Barfoot of
- Barbara Bidell, for information on Peter Barfoot;
- Jackie Didymus, for information on Levi Barfoot of Shirley;
- the members of the Hampshire-L mailing list, for all
sorts of help and encouragement;
- and the staff at the Hampshire County Record Office for
being generally helpful.
This web site is copyright © 1998-2000,
Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of this site,
the author cannot be held responsible for any mistakes or inaccuracies.